no power to card reader.

Mrwarick 11:53 05 May 08

This is a bit difficult to describe so I'll give it my best shot.
I recently upgraded my pc. whis is one of these click here

It has gone from 1gb Ram to 2gb.
the graphics card has gone from ATI radeon x600 to ATI Radeon HD3850.
And the PSU has gone from 350 watts to a 600watts.

But my problem is. my card reader no longer works, and I can't understand why. It has no connections to the PSU but does have a lead which goes to the tv tuner which in turn is connected to the motherboard.
The only thing that was a problem during the upgrade was a small 2 pin connector, which I can't plug into the PSU (a OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt Gamers Power Supply Unit by the way) because the PSU doesn't have a relevant connector to plug in. I'm pretty sure this connector is for the touch buttons at the top of the pc, which didn't really work before the upgrade and aren't really that necessary to me.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Editor 12:32 05 May 08

that you say your card reader "does have a lead which goes to the tv tuner"

What purpose does that serve?

skidzy 12:55 05 May 08

Your card reader if internal will connect to the motherboard usb headers,NOT the psu.

Mrwarick 17:05 05 May 08

sorry. still a bit new to the whole computer innards thing so I took another look inside and I got it wrong. the card reader is actually working fine and its the av sockets which are connected to tv tuner. all of which are working fine. it's actually 2 usb ports and the the earphone and mic sockets which are actually not functioning.

Strawballs 17:13 05 May 08

Check their connections on the motherboard to make sure they din't get dislodged during update.

Technotiger 17:17 05 May 08

If it is the two usb ports and headphone sockets on the front of the case, these are often forgotten and not connected. You should have the manual that came with your mobo, have a look and you should see where the connections go to on the mobo.

Technotiger 17:30 05 May 08

If you do find the correct connections and intend to DIY, make sure that before touching any peripherals inside the case you should touch a metal part of the case to discharge any bodily static, which on rare occasions can cause damage to parts inside the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos