No Power

s99Raj 14:08 18 Sep 04

After a recent bit of lightning a friends PC simply does not switch on, so I changed the power supply for a brand new 400W one, which I know works fine.

It still does not switch on. Only one green LED on the motherboard (an Asus P4PE Rev 1.03) lights up when the mains is connected. When I press the ON switch, nothing happens - no fans whirr, the hard drive makes no noise, etc.

My only guess is that the motherboard has blown and he needs a new one. Or is there anything else I should consider?

smudge101 14:11 18 Sep 04

It could possibly be the CPU cooler fan. If this is not working the system will not start. If you can borrow one from another computer it may be worth a go.

igk 14:11 18 Sep 04

>>"My only guess is that the motherboard has blown and he needs a new one. Or is there anything else I should consider?"<<
No your mobo is blown,power surge through the phone line and modem direct into mobo.

s99Raj 14:36 18 Sep 04

If the motherboard is blown, would the green LED on it still light up?

Quiller. 15:03 18 Sep 04

Take out the PCI modem if it has one.

s99Raj 15:36 18 Sep 04

There's no PCI modem in it.

Quiller. 16:42 18 Sep 04

Try;

Take out the ram module / modules and the ide lead from the back of the hard drive. Does the cpu fan spin up now and are you getting a load of beeps from the speaker.

igk 20:23 18 Sep 04

>>"If the motherboard is blown, would the green LED on it still light up?"<<
Yes the small amount of power can still get through to the led light but this does not mean to say that chips in the mobo have not been damaged by a power surge,in actual fact static electricity in the human body can blow mobo chips easily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…