No Post, No Boot, no time!

Epirb406 19:22 13 Dec 06

Hi quick set of symptoms for you good folk because I haven't got time to try every possibility!

Older Tiny PC.
Small ATX case.
No life at all on on off button push.

Replaced power supply.
On pressing on switch the power supply starts.
Brief normal 'crackle' from HDD
Nothing else, no post, no post beep, no video output.

Unplug everyhing except motherboard plug, power supply starts, no beep.

Also tried removing ram, hdd, fdd, and video card in sequence. Still no post, video output or life.

No visible lights on mother board throughout.

Any ideas???

Thanks, Epirb.

SANTOS7 19:25 13 Dec 06

MOBO's busted me thinks..

DrScott 19:32 13 Dec 06

that the wires connecting the power switch to the motherboard is secured down properly - just open up the box and trace the wires back from the front of the case.

Otherwise, I'd go with bust motherboard too I'm afraid :(

Epirb406 19:39 13 Dec 06

Yep, switch wires all still plugged in on Motherboard. Just gave them a good wiggle!(Computer is open on desk in front of me)

Dead motherboard, hmmm, how do we definitly confirm and why would it have happened? Do power supplys often take mother boards with theM Have had a couple of power supplies go but never a mother board.

Ta so far!

Epirb.

Technotiger 19:44 13 Dec 06

Hi, no beep usually means no power or a short.
In your case (older Tiny PC) I would suspect the PSU. You probably have a 150w or 180w, an upgrade PSU to 400w would possibly solve the problem.

Cheers

Technotiger 19:45 13 Dec 06

Hmmm, sorry, I see you have changed the PSU, in that case afraid I must agree with the others - faulty (short in) mobo.

john-232317 20:02 13 Dec 06

Got a similar problem to you no graphics, tried PSU, graphics card, so must be MB, trouble is sometimes they take the chip also ;-(( maybe like me time for a new one .

woodchip 20:09 13 Dec 06

Agree Mobo busted

woodchip 20:10 13 Dec 06

PS it could also mean a new CPU if the PSU packed up. But first try a new MOBO

Epirb406 21:04 13 Dec 06

Evidence not looking good.

Just setting up hard drive on another PC to drag off important stuff, then fear it is the scrap heap for this unit!

Thnaks all,

Epirb.

Marked as resolved, will report back any news

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…