No post on new build

Legolas 22:38 07 Mar 06

I have been building a system for my brother in law using an ECS intel P400M800 Motherboard The processor fan turns when I switch on the system and the power LED comes on but no beeps or post does anyone have experience of this mb and getting it to post?

Gongoozler 07:58 08 Mar 06

Have you tried with a minimal setup, nothing plugged into the motherboard except the PSU, one stick of memory, graphics card, power switch, case speaker and the processor with heatsink? I also find that sometimes removing the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes helps.

Legolas 12:09 08 Mar 06

Gongoozler, thanks for the reply. The set up you suggest is about all I had when first tried to boot will try the battery tip.

Legolas 16:25 09 Mar 06

Not resolved but will tick

Gongoozler 19:20 09 Mar 06

Hi Legolas. Sorry that didn't help. The next stage that I use is to remove all the memory and the graphics card. Then unscrew the motherboard from the case and place it on a sheet of card so ther is no risk of any part shorting to the case. The motherboard should then complete POST with an error beep because of the absence of memory or graphics card. If it fails to POST, then the motherboard, PSU or CPU must have a problem.

Legolas 12:10 10 Mar 06

Hi Gongoozler thanks again for the replies. I tried your suggestion with no response so I think I have a faulty mb or cpu, I dont think it is the PSU as the cpu fan turns and the power led comes on but apart from that nothing.

Blitzer 12:47 10 Mar 06

Legolas,

Just because the PSU LED is on and the fan runnning does not mean the PSU itself isn't faulty. I'm trying to recall info from memory now, but I believe a PSU provides a "power good" signal to the motherboard, this when interrupted is what causes the computer to reset (ie. when you hit the reset button). If this signal was not being received by the motherboard then the PC would never boot.

Not saying your PSU is necessarily at fault, but still a possiblity. HTH. :)

Gongoozler 15:53 10 Mar 06

The PSU is the cheapest to replace so that is often a good place to start. I have been using a cheap Ebuyer PSU for about 2 years now and have never had any problems with it. The motherboard is generally more prone to failure than the processor simply because of the number of components and soldered joints.

mce01 15:58 10 Mar 06

I have had 2 occosions when I have been upgrading where the m/b looked dead. I assumed it was not the psu as there was obvioulsy power. First time I replcaed just every part apart from the psu.....only to find it was the psu! There is often enough power to bring the fans etc up but not the cpu. These days if I am upgrading to a new cpu I nearly always get a new psu.

Legolas 19:59 10 Mar 06

I have followed your suggestions concerning the PSU by trying it on another system and it is working ok so I dont think it is the PSU.

Gongoozler 20:33 10 Mar 06

You have probably already tried it, but if not try reseating the processor on the motherboard and the heatsink on the processor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…