No picture when new CPU is installed

The Nomad 21:17 12 Dec 03

Hi all

I have just bought a AMD Athlon XP 2.2 GHz for my system. But it does not seem to work .
My mobo is a ECS K7S5A ver 3.1 which i thought could take upto a 2.4 GHz CPU.
The problem i am getting is when i switch the system on, it all seems to be going through it's normal stuff, but i get no picture sent to the monitor. Is this a symptom of the mobo not being able to take a 2.2 GHz chip or could it be another problem?. The graphics card is a G-Force 2 MX 400 64mb and is working fine.

When i re-install my old Athlon 1.4 GHz CPU all is fine again.

Thanks for any help on this.

Tony

ton 22:58 12 Dec 03

I think you need to check the bios to see if the settings are correct for your new CPU (they are probably wrong).

ton 23:00 12 Dec 03

Also look in your mobo manual to see if anything needs changing.

Allan-263226 23:11 12 Dec 03

Have you tried booting without the gfx card installed and just using the onboard?

If you haven't got the manual it can be downloaded from click here

Allan-263226 23:12 12 Dec 03

Also it could be the power of your psu! Do you now what watt it is? Ideally it should be at least 300w

woodchip 23:17 12 Dec 03

Remove the Motherboard Battery then put it back after a while

The Nomad 08:43 13 Dec 03

Hi all

The bios should not need to be changed, as the settings for the new cpu are the same as for the old cpu AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1400 MHz 133/133 FSB.

There is only one jumper on the motherboard and that is to "Clear Cmos"

There is no onboard graphics to disable.

I am thinking about flashing the bios but will wait untill after i have took the computer and new cpu to the shop today so we can have a look at it there.

The PSU is 350w, ok i know things might get a bit tight with it when accessing all drives and burning cd's but it should be enough to boot the computer up normally.

Romoving the motherboard battary for a while Why, what would this do? apart from restting it back to the default settings, which it is already on

Cheers for the replies

Tony

jakimo 10:33 13 Dec 03

Is the latest bios installed? Sounds as if your new cpu is not being properly recognised,or after installing a cpu you must disconnect the power supply, and move the jumper for 30 seconds to clear the cmos before restarting

The Nomad 17:45 13 Dec 03

Hi

Anyway the CPU is faulty. In the shop they tried it in there test board and got the same problem.
But
They said that they could not give me a replacement CPU until the faulty one has been sent back to AMD for testing.
I said that that is crap.
They said that, that is way the it is with AMD, as all there CPUs are tested and rated before they go out, so they want to know what happened to the CPU between them sending it out and me fitting it, this will take between 2-4 weeks.

So i guess i will just have to wait to see what they say. But the shop will have a fight on there hands if they turn around and say that it was my fault.

Cheers
Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…