No picture on TV!

boon_intheuk 22:21 03 Mar 03

Hi guys, I have just installed a Creative DXR3 DVD decoder card into my small PC, everything works just fine
But, I tried attaching the card to my TV set with phono leads into a scart adapter,I switch the output in the software dvd player to TV rather than PC monitor and switching my TV to the AV channel, all I get is the sound.
I have tried running it through my VCR with the same result, I have tested the leads for continuaty and they seem OK.
Am I missing something simple here or what?
I know there is not much to go on but thopughts would be helpful to me.
Thanks, Boon.

SIS530 Mobo
AMD K6-2 400Mhz CPU
384 MBs PC100 SDRAM
Creative Savage 4 32MB graphics card (PCI)
Creative Encore DXR3 DVD decoder card (PCI)
TBS Montego Bay sound card (PCI)
WinME
200W power supply

hugh-265156 23:04 03 Mar 03

sounds like software problem but just to check the lead first take the yellow(video)plug out of the scart adapter and look for a rca phono(also yellow)under the flap or on the side of your tv and plug this in here and see if you can get a picture.if so then its the adapter.have you made sure(stupid question)that its plugged in correctly yellow to yellow red to red and white to white?try also (if you have more than one scart on the tv)another scart.av1 is normally the best.if you do have more than one scart try pressing the av button more than once this will normally cycle through the av inputs.sometimes its possable to get audio only if the wrong av channel is selected.like i say probally software in which case maybe somebody else can help out as i dont know that much.

powerless 23:07 03 Mar 03

Is there an S-Video? I used that and it worked a treat.

hugh-265156 23:07 03 Mar 03

have you also checked the display settings in control panel?if the card supports dual monitors enable the setting then drag the screen across to the tv after you start the dvd.

boon_intheuk 23:04 06 Mar 03

Hi guys, ok, "huggyg71" I have tried two different scart adapters and all the AV channels on both my TV and VCR with no luck and the card does not support dual monitors, forgive my ignorance but are you mixing up my graphics card (adapter?) and the DVD decoder card which my posting is about?
If so I will clarify, it is my DVD decoder card that connects to my TV or VCR not my graphics card.
Also, "powerless", there is an s-video socket on my TV but there is an unusual nine pin socket on the DVD decoder card and I only have an adapter from the nine pin to phono. I am unsure as to whether I could get one for s-video. I will look around.
Any other thoughts would be great, thanks again, Boon.

hugh-265156 00:06 07 Mar 03

sorry i didnt read the specs. there should be a pass through cable supplied with this card.have you connected this from the graphics card to the dxr3 card?it connects from the vga out on the graphics card to the vga in on the decoder.

kuhbler 03:49 07 Mar 03

Can you see the desktop on the TV? If so, but the screen goes blank when you are running a DVD, then I suspect that Macrovision protection on the DVD is causing the problems.

I don't know too much about it. Two of my DVD's have Macrovision but I can play one ok through onto the TV, but the other one, like yourself, I only get audio and no picture.
I connect using a phono lead as well as the TV I use doesn't have a S-Video port.

boon_intheuk 22:31 11 Mar 03

Hi guys, huggy I am using the pass through cable and I get a great picture on my PC...?
Khubler, I cannot see my desktop on the TV and I use a program called "zone selector" which is surposed to "turn off" the macrovision.
But, I think I will try a different DVD (I only have one borrowed one at the mo!)
Thanks, Boon.

hugh-265156 01:12 12 Mar 03

some dvds just dont like some players im afraid.i have a friend that spent an obscene amount of money on a hi end nakimichi player only to find that it doesnt like the matrix disc yet i can play this on a playstation 2 :-) the fact that your dvd is playing ok and you can view on the monitor suggests that the disc is not the problem.i have a seven pin svid out on my graphics card nine if you count the two locating pins.i have an adapter that converts to composite phono like yours.the phono end i have connected to a phono to scart lead and run this to my tv as i dont like leads hanging from the front of the tv.there is one more thing i would check.some tvs share the av phono connection with the scart av2 socket.if you have a video or the like connected to the scart it may be overiding the signal.unplug all the scarts from the tv and try.make sure your selecting the av2/av3 channel.if its still not working i can only guess its software setup problem which im not familiar with.

hugh-265156 01:19 12 Mar 03

ps i would not worry to much about macrovision it will be on any disc you buy in the shops.will only give you problems if you try to copy the disc.check also to see if the decoder is set to output a pal signal and is set for region 2.

SMB Systems 01:57 12 Mar 03

Try running your pc at 800x600 some tv cannot handle a higher resolution i had a similar problem with a dual head card recently, and by dropping to 800x600 i suddenly got the picture on my tv.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…