No Operating System Found

jeffg 23:59 13 Mar 06

I have an Advent Laptop for around 2 years and have never had problems with it. It runs Win XP Home, 256mb RAM and a 1.7 processor (Centrino).

A few weeks ago, I shut it down as normal, all was fine. I had no problems whatsoever using it. Now I have an intermittent problem. When I turn the laptop on I sometimes get a message saying No Operating System Found on what looks like a DOS backgroung. I reinstalled everything using the disk I got with the PC, all worked well.I shut it down and tried to turn it on again. I got the message again. I suspect it might be a problem with the Hard Drive but can't be sure. Any ideas? Thanks.

Smegs 00:17 14 Mar 06

Not sure about Laptop's. It sound's like your HD may be on the way out, or the ribbon.

Have you had the Laptop apart for some reason??

Has one of the end's of the ribbon started to come off??

Please wait for someone that know's about laptops to responed.

jeffg 00:21 14 Mar 06

No, the laptop has not been touched since new. I had a look at the hard drive and it slots directly onto the contacts, it does not require a ribbon. It seems secure.

Smegs 00:27 14 Mar 06

jeffg, how often do you take the HD out?? If at all.

Just wondering, if you take the HD out often, is the connector's wearing down??

jeffg 00:29 14 Mar 06

The first time I took it out was after this problem started.

Smegs 00:33 14 Mar 06

It's not the connector's then.

PC Eye 03:46 14 Mar 06

At the risk of asking an obvious question - you haven't left a floppy in the drive have you(assuming your laptop has an A: drive)?

Taff™ 07:03 14 Mar 06

Almost certainly your HDD is the problem. From experience of exactly the same symptoms and then a fatal crash within days I suggest you take the following action:

Create an immediate backup of the entire drive, preferable onto an external drive or burn an ISO image to CD`s or DVD.

Obtain another HDD asap and replace the existing one then transfer everything over.You might consider buying a 2.25" external HDD Caddy to make the operation easier if you can`t transfer all your data to CD`s. (About £20)

De Marcus™ 07:39 14 Mar 06

For my postings, I had an old toshiba laptop that did exactly the same thing, except leaving it for an hour resulted in the operating system booting up and all appears to be fine, never did find out what was wrong with it, despite running every test under the sun. It was only ever an intermittent problem happening around once every month or so.

De Marcus™ 07:57 14 Mar 06

There appears to be a lot more info on this on google than there was when I was experiencing problems, some laptop users experience this problem when:

The battery is low.

Possible damaged boot sector.
(repairable)

Loosened connectors.

Totally dead HD.

Using the fixboot and fixmbr commands worked for some, a repair of xp fixed others, if it turns out the HD is dead, nothing will work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5