No Network Pt 2

wingfield 14:05 27 Mar 04

Having tried all suggested last weekend, thought I'd update and see if there are any new suggestions. I have 1 computer running XP in my sons room (named 'Upstairs', 1 computer running Windows 2k in my study named 'downstairs' on a network (named 'Network' - I like to keep things simple!!) through a Belkin router. I have Internet access on both but no network connection between both. I can ping from the upstairs one to both the router and the downstairs computer, but not the other way round.
I don't have a icon in the systems tray of either indicating a network connection.
I've tried several times running the Network connection wizard on the XP computer using different options but without any success. I've disable the firewall on both.

howard60 16:46 27 Mar 04

I normally set the ip address manually for my networked pcs - right click network places and click properties - right click local area connection not the internet connection sharing if shown - and click properties - click on use the following ip address then enter 192 168 0 1 and sub set mask 255 255 255 0. on the second pc enter 192 168 0 2 and same mask. Make sure both hard drives are set for sharing and copy any file to the shared drives folder dont know why but it makes things behave better - reboot although not asked to - if you have zone alarm installed add the ip address of the other pc into trusted and then pray to whatever god you have.

wingfield 19:50 27 Mar 04

Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately this baby is is playing hard to get. The Internet only wants to work on both machines if I have the IP/TCP Protocol on detect settings automatically.
Perhaps it's a router problem. I'll give them an e-mail - see if they can sort it.
Unless you guys out there can thing of anything else?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…