no mouse detection

leco1938 14:52 19 Apr 04

have been using microsoft trackball, with 98se,
no problems. have tried to switch to standard ps/2 mouse and computer does not recognise that mouse is attached, message comes on screen stating no mouse is attached and tells me to switch off and connect same. have tried 3 mice(not new ones)but to no avail. have tried same mice on another computer and again none of the mice are recognised. both computers recognise my old trackball. does not make sense!

BRYNIT 19:28 19 Apr 04

Did you connect the mouse B4 switching computer on.

Totally-braindead 19:47 19 Apr 04

Try removing the trackball from control panel, switch off and plug in the mouse then restart, only thing I can think of is the software for the trackball is causing windows not to see the mouse.

leco1938 13:46 20 Apr 04

Had mouse attached before starting computer, have also tried same, with no software loaded for mouse/trackball. message still same...."no mouse attached". is it possible for old type mice to require specific "operating systems"?

Quiller. 14:24 20 Apr 04

Have you been to device manager \ mice and other pointing devices and removed the entry for the trackball? Try this with the trackball attached, then shut down the computer.

Now attach another mouse and boot up. See if this finds the mouse.

JayDay 14:48 20 Apr 04

Mouse might be broken

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…