No mouse detected in Windows 98

John-241827 23:03 14 Apr 03

Can anyone help please?
When I start my computer it says there is no mouse detected on the PS/2 port. I have tried two other mice which I know to be working and still no mouse detected. I have even tried a serial mouse which I also know is working, but still no detection. Any ideas?

AndySD 23:59 14 Apr 03

Try restoring the registry to a previous date.

Start your computer, press and hold CTRL of tap on F8, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu.

At the C: prompt, type

scanreg /restore

and then press ENTER.

Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.

When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

John-241827 17:35 15 Apr 03

Thanks Andy,
I tried what you said but it didn't work. I've now gone as far as reformatting and reinstalling Windows, but still no mouse support. I think now it's a fault on the motherboard. Maybe time for a whole new computer. It's a couple of years old now anyway.

eccomputers 20:48 15 Apr 03

Is there anything in your bios to turn on ps/2 mouse support?

Rtus 21:07 15 Apr 03

Have you added a modem /Or been into the Bios/Moved any expansion cards about ? prior to noticing the mouse problem ?

John-241827 23:12 15 Apr 03

I've looked through the Bios eccomputers, but can't see anything for turning on or off the mouse. I have not added anything new Rtus, nor moved any expansion cards.
Thank you both for offering your suggestions.

Rtus 23:44 15 Apr 03

Go to your Settings >control panel>System>device manager see if mouse is listed view its properties and check its not disabled there.

John-241827 23:47 15 Apr 03

A good idea Rtus thanks. I'll try it and let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…