No Modem in New Compaq Computer?

night 10:51 27 Dec 05

Having purchased a Compaq Computer from Curry's for a friend I am amazed to find it has no Modem so cant dial up. On querying with Curry's they say computers do not come with Modems and suggested one signs up with AOL which comes with Modem is this correct practice?

Freddog™ 10:54 27 Dec 05

Ask them - they'll give you one.

bremner 10:54 27 Dec 05

I think that Currys are talking about broadband modems and you seem to want dial up.

You will have to buy one like this click here

bremner 10:55 27 Dec 05

PC World are giving away modems?

palinka 12:28 27 Dec 05

sounds as if Currys are now ssuming everyone wants broadband. For that it is true that the company you sign up with almost always provides a [broadband] moden "free". But I'm amazed that Currys have abandoned the trad internal dial-up modem - they surely can't be saving much by doing that.
You can still buy dial-up modems as bremner has suggested.
My personal preference, for what it's worth, is to avoid AOL.

anchor 14:09 27 Dec 05

How mean can you get!. The cost of fitting one to a manufacturer must be very small.

Not everyone is in a locality where broadband is available, or can afford it. Also you need a dial up modem to send a fax.

Mikè 14:17 27 Dec 05

This or similar click here would do the job, no dismantling.

Taff™ 09:49 28 Dec 05

Sadly it seems that the old dial up modem has become an optional extra - as it was many moons ago. You`re lucky to get a floppy drive these days! I bought an Imedia tower from PC World before Christmas - No modem but you can buy one for about a tenner these days anyway. Alternatively find someone on broadband and offer them a fiver for their modem!

Freddog™ 11:11 28 Dec 05

I mean they'll direct you to one that'll work for you, you have to pay for it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…