no line-in on my laptop soundcard - what can I do?

powertool 07:46 29 May 03

My laptop for some reason hasn't got an audio line in. I would like to use it to record dj mixes from my mixer.

It is a HP Pavilion z4200.

Does anyone know if I could build a little circuit which would allow me to reduce the input so I could use the mic-in instead? I am quite handy with a soldering iron, but not sure what to put together - or even if it is feasible without the quality being lost.

Thanks in advance.

P.

expertec 09:10 29 May 03

have a look on click here or click here

graham√ 09:59 29 May 03

In all probability you could use the mic-in to record from the mixer, without 'reducing' the signal. Try at a low volume from the mixer at first. Anything in the user guide or 'help & support' section?

powertool 18:25 29 May 03

Thanks for the link re. soundcard. I am pretty sure that the laptop soundcard has line-in capability - the volume control shows it as a recording option; is it possible to use one of the USB ports to access the 'line in' on the soundcard? I think installing another soundcard is beyond me though on a laptop because the sockets, volume buttons, etc are built into the case.

The mic-in option isn't going to work though - because the mic control shows the balance grayed out so it must be mono - cheapskates Hewlett Packard!

graham√ 20:32 29 May 03

Sounds like the sound card is mono. I think what expertec is proposing is you buy another sound card and connect it via USB. Whether that will give you what you want I will leave to others.

powertool 21:29 29 May 03

Ah - ok I understand - yes that sounds like a good solution

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…