No life in motherboard

rotate 18:36 16 Dec 04

I have just bought a socket 370 motherboard very cheaply from Ebay to have mainly as a standby spare. The mobo was advertised as working but make unknown. This is not a problem as I have a program that I can run that reads the mobo bios info so I could then download the manual/drivers etc once I had the details. The problem is to get this info I have to power the board up. I have set the board up very carefully so I can boot and run the software but each time I switch on all that happens is the CPU fan just flickers and the monitor comes alive and dies immediately. I then have to re-set the cmos jumper to get even a flicker again. The board will take Intel Pentium III and Celeron CPU’s I am testing with a PIII 866MHz & Celeron 600MHz CPU both have the same results. I have also tried different PSU’s and have even fitted the board into a PC case correctly but still no good. Obviously without the boards manual I am having to switch on the board by using a jumper on the pins that the power switch would be connected to. Would this seem that the board is dead? Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Regards
Robert.

splork 19:02 16 Dec 04

The only suggestion I can make is to try different fan headers - if you have a header labelled CPU or FAN1 try it on each - some boards won't power up if they can't detect a CPU fan.

Alex-188000 19:38 16 Dec 04

When you use the jumper to turn the mobo on im guessing you take it out straigh away right? Simply I know but thats my first thoguht!

rotate 20:04 16 Dec 04

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try on each fan header and let you know the result but this may be tomorrow now.
I don’t think I am shorting the board out straight away. I have a spare set of correct connectors now and only 2 particular pins on the board show any life but will look into it a little more.

rotate 08:14 21 Dec 04

Tried all of the above and more. Even set the board up correctly in a PC case but will not fire up. Result 'Dustbin' Thanks for your help anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…