no landline

Simpsonleys 22:56 26 Dec 03

My brother lives on a houseboat and has no telephone landline. He accesses the net by mobile phone at present which is costly. He is looking for a cheaper solution. There is an office a couple of hundred yards away where there is a telephone line and he is wondering about the practicality of installing a computer which he and about 10 others could use for access to the net. Is there any way of connecting this to his houseboat. Details or urls of sites with solutions gratefully received

Gaz 25 23:17 26 Dec 03

He could get his phone on contract.

fishermangeoff 23:23 26 Dec 03

i was at a canal boat show last august bank holiday and there was a stall dealing with allsorts of boating internet issues unfortunatly i can not remember any details about his name etc.the show was the iwa show at beale park berks,i guess you could track it down with the help of google now that you know it exists. i build narrow boats for a living but our customers use mobiles to access the net(top end boats so wealthy clients)their companys pick up the phone bills i guess.

Forum Editor 23:46 26 Dec 03

(and I imagine that it is)your brother can have an ordinary BT landline installed - hundreds of houseboats have them. Provided the local exchange is ADSL enabled he could even have a broadband connection.

If for some reason a landline isn't a possibility then in theory you could set up a broadband router in the office and distribute the service to the various houseboats via an ethernet network. Ordinary CAT5 cable is good for distances of up to 90 metres, but you must be very careful to keep it clear of interference sources - anything that generates a strong electro-magnetic field. You would also need to protect it from the weather, and from abrasion. The best way to do this is to run it inside black plastic electrical conduit. Alternatively you can use the more expensive Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cable, which is stronger and bulkier. You would still need to protect this cable, but you don't have to worry so much about interference.

Each computer would need a Network Interface card (NIC), but otherwise there should be no technical problems - the Internet connection would run on the router, so you wouldn't have to run a computer in the office. If ADSL was available the office phone would still function as a phone. If you do this I recommend that someone reboots the router at least once every 24 hours, so that the connection doesn't run on a fixed IP address all the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…