No Keyboard

zebbydog 18:11 07 Apr 04

A friend has just been given a pc for his kids and the keyboard will not work.

Win 98 133 pros 32 mb 1gb hd.

Device manager shows a ok have updated drivers from win disc and tried a second k.board that i no works with no joy, Any one any ideas please

Zebbydog

wee eddie 18:50 07 Apr 04

Are you using a PS2 or an USB keyboard.

woodchip 18:57 07 Apr 04

First have you tried removing the keyboard plug and refit, next if the Keyboard and mouse are both PS/2 change the plugs over as the be in the wrong sockets the only thing then left if none of the above works is a Dead Keyboard or as I had once no 5 volts power to keyboard so I had to run a jumper wire on the motherboard to get it to work

zebbydog 19:43 07 Apr 04

I used a mouse on a serial port.
Woodchip there is only 1 ps2 hole, how do you connect a jumper connecter

woodchip 22:49 07 Apr 04

You have to first find if 5 volts power is getting to the Keyboard with a Multimeter. I can send the pin layout if it's a Serial port that the keyboard is connected to. And if no power just run a 5 volts supply from the main motherboard plug this you also need to know for the 5 volts pin

woodchip 22:50 07 Apr 04

Have you tried a different keyboard

zebbydog 08:49 08 Apr 04

Have tried 2 keyboards, there is power to the keyboard as the lights flash on Num Caps & Scroll lock any other ideas.

There is a larger round pin connector on the pc what would that be for.Did older machines have different keyboard connections.

Eric10 08:55 08 Apr 04

If the larger round socket has 5 pins in a semi-circle and is mounted on the motherboard then it is likely to be an AT keyboard socket. This requires either an AT keyboard or an adapter to convert your PS2 keyboard to fit the socket. The single PS2 socket you are plugging your keyboard into will be for a PS2 mouse.

wee eddie 11:49 08 Apr 04

are you trying a USB keyboard with a USB-PS2 converter plug.

zebbydog 17:07 08 Apr 04

I think you may be right about the AT keyboard socket.The single ps2 socket is next to the printer port and doe's nothing it will not work a mouse, the mouse is fitted to a serial port and works ok.
I will try to get an adapter to convert the ps2 keyboard and let you no how i get on.

wee eddie it is not a usb keyboard

zebbydog 16:52 09 Apr 04

You were right just bought a connecter AT to PS2 and it worked ok. Thanks for your help it will keep the kids happy for a few weeks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009