No internet through 2nd pc

IAN2112 11:34 23 Dec 07

Please Can anyone help with this networking problem i have. We have main pc which is connecting through linksys router gateway,with no problem. The second pc with linksys adapter says a connection is there with excellent connectivity which is confusing, the status facility lists pkts sent 3300 but nothing received.Do i need different IP addys for the two pc's or should they both be 192.168.1.1>>>>> I have tried almost everthing to try and sort this but i think its something simple which i have missed but sure someone here will be able to advise.......Thank you.

brundle 13:20 23 Dec 07

192.168.1.1 is the address of the router (gateway) and if the configuration has not been altered it will assign your computer(s) unique IP addresses starting 192.168.1.2.
On the problem machine, go to start menu/all programs/accessories/command prompt

type

ipconfig /all

Under the heading relating to your wireless adapter you will see something like this;

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

with information after the semi-colons. DCHP Enabled should be YES, IP address 192.168.1.x, Gateway 192.168.1.1 and one or two sets of numbers after DNS Servers.

Now type

ping bbc.co.uk

Press return

Any packets dropped?

type

ping 212.58.224.131

press return

Any packets dropped?

STREETWORK 19:26 27 Dec 07

Hmmm.

Turn off windows wireless-zero-configuration by doing this

1. click start, run and type services.msc
2. scrool down to the bottom and select the WZC from the list and right click it
3. select stop

Now, using the linsky adapter software make a new connection.

Problem seems to be that WZC is trying to force a connection which the adapter is trying to sort out for you and there is a conflict. The adapter software will promt you to enter the WPA or WEP key and then connect...

dms05 06:53 28 Dec 07

....or turn off the Linksys software and use WZC. But don't have both running at the same time!

IAN2112 08:53 28 Dec 07

Hello again, I have it working at the minute but how? "i don't know" The ip addy on this pc is as above but the other is the same aswell when using status facility on connection icon below. When i use ipconfig/all prompt it is displaying a totally diff ip addy. Under the adapter info i have 172.200.247.135 and a dns as 172.201.172.81...?? Don't tell me i'm connecting through the neighbours or MI5,anyway its working but not correctly but i will take the other advice in and if i lose connection again i have that to try...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…