No Internet - think I've deleted something on AOL

Spurs442 13:24 07 Jan 09

I think I maybe deleted something I shouldn't have and now can't get online! I'm with TalkTalk broadband. For ages AOL messages kept popping up (my previous ISP). Got fed up with the messages so recently I think I deleted something in anefoort to get rid of the AOL messages. I think however that TalkTalk uses AOL?? and now when I click on internet explorer nothing happens at all! Should I uninstall the whole TalkTalk bundle and start again.

One other thing is worrying me thats maybe connected.....the TAlkTalk 'Assist and Go' installation and help CD won't even play on my computer anymore. You can hear the disk spinning inside but it doesn't open. My McAfee Protection is telling me something needs fixed but I can't until I get connected to the internet! Help!! Thanks!!

birdface 14:09 07 Jan 09

Can you do a system restore.

Spurs442 14:13 07 Jan 09

I think I tried a system restore....is that were you choose a date and the computer resets to that date?.....anyway I tried that, and every available date and it said it wasn't possible to do it!

Sea Urchin 14:15 07 Jan 09

Try it in Safe Mode

Spurs442 14:20 07 Jan 09

How do you access safe mode??

Sea Urchin 14:25 07 Jan 09

As you reboot the PC continually tap F8 until you reach a screen with various options - one of which will be Safe Mode - use up/down arrows to select and hit Enter.

(On some systems it might be F5 but try F8 first)

provider 2 15:22 07 Jan 09

Looks as if you have quite an awkward set of problems. You could try re-installing the AOL drivers from the disc but if you can`t get it to run, then that`s out. What exactly is McAfee telling you needs to be fixed?

Have you tried AOL`s own Quick Restore? Access through left-clicking this sequence: All Progs> AOL> AOL Information (takes up to 30 secs to appear)> Utilities> Quick Restore.

While you`re there, clean browser cache and if it`s still not working, Rebuild Adapter.

I don`t really know how much of AOL software Talk Talk uses, if anything, but it`s worth a go. Pity you didn`t simply block AOL`s messages using the pop-up blocker. It does actually work, even for AOL`s own advertising.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now