No Internet on new computer

alexgray104 15:14 13 Jan 07

Hi,

I have just setup a new computer and plugged in the LAN cable as it was on the old computer. The network connects to the computer fine but there is no internet. When I double click on internet explorer the error page comes up. I also cannot ping the computer from this one which is also connected to the network and working fine. However the new computer reports everything is working ok.

Anyone know whats going on?

All replies appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

howard64 15:19 13 Jan 07

sounds like a firewall blocking

stevelincsuk 15:46 13 Jan 07

Hi there, is the network card inbuilt on the motherboard, if so you may need to enable it in the BIOS.

Go to Start menu -> click on RUN -> type in CMD - This will open up a shell window, now type in IPCONFIG, You should now get some results back on screen, if you get the results back saying no network adaptors detected then you wil need to enable it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:13 13 Jan 07

The network connects to the computer fine but there is no internet.

You will need to setup IE to your ISP settings.

birdface 16:38 13 Jan 07

Have you downloaded the IP Start up Disc,I may have this wrong but if you are not using an ethernet cable, you have to download it on to your new computer.

alexgray104 16:59 13 Jan 07

Hi All,

I am using a onboard network adaptor and it finds and connects to the LAN fine @ 100mbps. Fruitbat, i don't have to dial-up as it were on this computer and on my old computer i never had to enter any details such as usernames and passwords, I just plugged the ethernet cable in and it worked straight away. This computer has been different, i just don't know what to do. The other computer didn't have ethernet built into the motherboard, I had to use a Ethernet Card, which I have now tried in the new comp, and, as before, it detects and connects to the network fine but it won't find any websites.

Cheers for the replies, anyone know whats going on??

Cheers, Alex

alexgray104 17:47 13 Jan 07

Bump

Strawballs 18:25 13 Jan 07

Go to internet options in control panel and check that it is set for internet via LAN.

alexgray104 19:21 13 Jan 07

I have checked, and there is no dialup connections (brand new pc) and it is also set to LAN.

Cheers for the reply.

jimmer409® 19:26 13 Jan 07

i would look at control panel, network connections, wired connection (local area connection), advanced. is the ethernet configured to allow internet access?

alexgray104 19:31 13 Jan 07

it says TCP/IP protocol and that has a tick next to it, if thats what you mean.

Thanks for reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac