No Internet connection but wireless connection OK

chale 11:43 13 Jun 08

I have a wireless connection between Windows XP(PC) ( main) and Vista ( laptop). I have internet on XP running. The wireless connection is fine but I cannot access internet from the laptop on Vista.

Where could I be going wrong?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:56 13 Jun 08

Assumming you are not connecting laptop to a router but via your XP machine and a USB modem?

You need to set Internet connection sharing on the XP machine.

Start - settings - network connections - click your wireless network - properties - Advance tab - tick the box Allow other network users to connect...

chale 12:04 13 Jun 08

It is via a router on the XP computer - DSL-G624T(ROUTER/ADLS)

The laptop has a DWL-G122 USB adapter - Dlink product.

Pine Man 12:14 13 Jun 08

The latest updates for Vista conflict with Bullguard IS and affect internet access.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:40 13 Jun 08

Check
1. the security code on the router and vista machine match exactly.
(try and connect without security enabled in router)
2. Firewall is not blocking your browser or ports
3. the mac code filtering (if enabled in router is allowing the laptop adapter (see 1))
4. your homepage is not blocked by any antispyware programs you may have.

TonyM 12:41 13 Jun 08

There have been a lot of problems with Vista machines connecting to internet if you are using WPA as security on the router (try googling Vista + WPA). You can confirm if this is causing it in your case by turning off the encryption briefly and see if you can connect then...

It can usually be fixed by upgrading the driver for your USB adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…