No internet connection - Then.........

jack 10:05 18 Oct 10

Internet connection failed yesterday and again this morning.
I did all the normal checks- cables, router, etc.
Noticed the router/ computer not speaking - no connected message- yet all the router lights were on. status flashing - ADSL and Ethernet on- yet nothing.

Then I ran CCleaner and bingo it was all go.
So the question is what did CCleaner find and clear out that was blocking access?

provider 2 10:31 18 Oct 10

I don`t know but CCleaner now has a box "Clear DNS cache" ... have you put a tick in there?

Also, I understand the clear utility log files section has changed recently too. Some Avast users were not too happy about that being a default setting ... there may be other changes there as well that might have something to do with it.

Diemmess 12:39 18 Oct 10

"What did CCleaner find that was blocking"
Just perhaps..... nothing and the failed connection may have been back at your local BT exchange.

It happened to me (BT Internet)over a six day period.
I tried the BT software, and had jolly misunderstandings with India (3 of those)

Slowly it dawned on me that most of our locals with the last six figures 528*** or 529*** were in the same boat regardless of the supplier, but all inevitably depending on BT for the "wires."

At no time did BT phone help seem to acknowledge that there might be a good old mechanical fault on the area hardware.

I became exasperated when on the 3rd help call after all the rigmarole, the sage I was talking with said it was all due to traffic!
"Say you have a big fast car Sir, but there is a lot of traffic on the road and you cannot go fast because of other smaller cars"

This was the unhelpful justification of a recorded fall in download speed from 5900K to 5K
I nearly lost it, said "this is most unsatisfactory!"

Open Sesame-- An appointment was made for a BT engineer visit. He came 3days after line speed returned, checked everything out, fitted a new plate for me and was a mite tight lipped about the cause of it all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5