No internet connection (btinternet)

Diemmess 17:29 07 Apr 14
Answered

Urgent

At this moment Laptop has a normal wi-fi internet connection PC (hard wired) has no Internet, both have XP os and were working.

A week ago sharp drop in download speed eventually none at all by last night.

Have jumped through hoops with Asiatic based advice. Engineer booked for Tomorrow am.

The background signal has varied from 1.0 to 2.1 well short of the previous steady between 6.1 and 5.6

I simply do not know the procedure to put the PC back on line. Have swopped the cable connection from it to the hub, rebooted many times still have a problem for the Open Reach engineer but unless I can make the PC recognise the Internet, I will almost certainly have to pay the home fault charge of £129.99.

Zak 17:37 07 Apr 14

Have you tried setting up a new network connection on the PC?

Also here are some suggestions and solution:

Windows XP forum: Windows XP internet not working from ethernet cable

Woolwell 17:52 07 Apr 14

Have you rebooted the hub?

Diemmess 20:37 07 Apr 14
Answer

Both PC and Hub were rebooted, started and otherwise worked, but in the end I used Acronis to go back three weeks.

Cowardly, but enormous saving in mental stress and every variation on the way.

Thanks for your help, and I will have to remain in ignorance as to why within a week I should a broadband reading fall by 75% stay that way or worseabout 3 days. Then a 30hr. gap with no signal at all (the phone was working).

Local lore seems to favour Open Reach interfering at exchange/cabinet level in an effort to install fibre optic cable all around where there is a small town but leaving we country dwellers in limbo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5