No Internet Connection with BT Total Broadband

dfm4321 15:11 25 Aug 06

Hi, hope someone can offer me some advice.

I have an ongoing nightmare with BT and their broadband service and after 7 weeks of a useless service, now have no service at all. I have a BT Voyager 2110 wireless router and the problem is that it won't connect to the Internet. It does detect the ADSL line but cannot connect to the Internet service provided by BT.

The problems all began on 9th July, after BT moved me to their 8MB service when my connection speed dropped to around 160Kbits/sec. On Tuesday of this week a BT engineer visited my home, checked the cabling and said everything was fine, got someone at BT to do something with the line and by Tuesday evening the connection speed had increased to almost 1Mbit. On Wednesday morning nothing at all.

I was reading some posts in this forum and came across references to MTU sizes and wondered if that could be the problem - I left everything on the router at the default settings when configuring it.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I have exchanged 28 emails with BT of this problem; made 13 phone calls to their help desk; received 7 phone calls from engineers, and had 1 engineer call at my home, and have reverted to a dial-up modem connection.

The PCs all connect to wireless router without any problems but no Internet service.

Thanks
Damian

FelixTCat 17:39 25 Aug 06

dfm4321,

When you transfer to the up to 8 Mbit/sec service (often called Max) it takes up to 10 days for the line to stabilise. Having said that, you should be getting some service!

When your modem router detects the internet, what figures do you get on the adsl line status page for downstream line rate, noise margin and line attenuation?

Regards,

Felix

dfm4321 00:11 26 Aug 06

Hi Felix, and thanks for replying.

What you say about the 8Mbit service is exactly what the BT engineer told me on Tuesday and I was happy with that - until Wednesday morning when no service was available.

The status figures are as follows:

Line Mode G.DMT
Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave
Line Up Time 00:00:03:14
Line Coding Trellis On
Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 992 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 7.9 dB 15.0 dB
Line Attenuation 63.0 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 16.4 dBm 12.1 dBm

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Thanks
Damian

FelixTCat 10:00 26 Aug 06

Hi Damian,

Your line rate really is quite low, bearing in mind the noise margin.

When I changed from a fixed speed connection to Max I had terrible speed problems. At one time my speed went down from 996 kb/s to 250 kb/s and stayed there. This was despite having microfilters everywhere.

I eventually solved it by changing the microfilters! I had bought some cheap (£2.50) from Dabs or somewhere which had worked very well with the fixed-rate adsl but failed miserably with Max. Changing the microfilters solved the problem.

First, check that all your telephone points have microfilters fitted. If your modem router came with a microfilter, use that one and set up the modem router in the test socket of your master socket (behind the face plate) - using this socket disconnects all the internal telephone wiring. Start up the modem and check the downstream line rate again. The 2110 synchronises with the adsl carrier a little slower than most, but you should get better than now. Note the rate.

If the rate from the test socket is still very low, the problem is in the wiring between the exchange and your master socket. That is BT's problem (though, of course, yours as well) and for them to solve.

Then replace the master socket front cover and check the rate again from the socket on the master. If it is any lower, the fault is likely to be in your internal phone wiring. The only real way to check is to unplug each phone, fax, Sky box or whatever and check the rate. Replace them one at a time until something nasty happens - that's where your problem is.

Do you have access to any other adsl modem? If you can beg, borrow or steal one, try that out and see what downstream rate you get - it's always possible that there is a fault with the modem.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix

dfm4321 17:11 26 Aug 06

Thanks Felix, your advice turned out to be completely accurate. A BT engineer turned up at my home this morning and after a lot of testing worked out that the line needed "rebuilt", as there was a wiring problem out there somewhere. He done this online in conjunction with people at a BT Centre in Woking.

He then fitted a panel on the front of my phone sockets which had an ADSl filter built in, I don't need to use the micro-filters, and everything started working again.

Many thanks for your time and totally accurate diagnosis of the problem.

Thanks again
Damian

FelixTCat 18:07 26 Aug 06

dfm4321,

I'm pleased for you that BT have finally owned up to the problem. I do hope that they will now solve it for you.

Best wishes,

Felix

kingers 16:45 31 Aug 06

We had our BT Total Broadband option 3 activated on Tuesday. As BT have a 'stock' issue with the wireless router, they supplied us with a free wired modem (think it's the 2100?) Great, we thought... We have now spent the last 3 days trying to install the CD and the wired modem, and with no luck. Similarly it has involved lots of calls to the BT Broadband helpline via India, with various suggestions and offered solutions, none of which are working. We are now waiting for an engineer to come out to inspect our line - no time of appointment has been offered, we've no idea when he will turn up.

Similar to the first poster, we are seriously annoyed - and we've only been immersed in this shocking service since Tuesday. We both need to be able to work from home, and my partner has lost 2 days of working time now.

We don't even have the wireless router yet, have not yet managed to get any broadband and are also resorting back to a rubbish dial-up connection.

1) Can we ask to go back to a fixed Broadband rate?Or is the max rate forced upon us anyway now?

2) Is there anything to gain by ditching BT for another provider? (I'm thinking No Point as every other provider uses a BT line and right now we're not sure our broadband connection is working properly)

3) Complaints? to whom and will it make any difference?

Please can anyone advise what we should do? (I have read the point about taking the panel off the phone point and testing the test socket and we'll try this tonight)

All advice massively appreciated!
thanks in advance!

FelixTCat 16:49 31 Aug 06

kingers,

Please start your own thread with this problem. It is poor net etiquette to hi-jack someone else's thread.

If you post here, dfm4321 will be emailed a copy of every posting and you won't be.

Regards,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…