No internet connection with BT 1040 + Belkin54g

kelal 12:54 06 Jan 06

Hi
I have installed a BT 1040 wifi card into my second computer, which has an Asus A7V600-X mobo.
My primary computer uses a Belkin54g router and has DSL internet connection. Internet connection is fine on my son's pc, but I am unable to get an internet connection on the new one with the BT card. Reception is good or very good. My question is - should I disable the onboard LAN on the motherboard as I suspect there might be a conflict between this and the wifi card. could this account for non connection to the internet?
I am not at my home address at the mo, otherise I would just try it!
many thanks for any advice.

mgmcc 13:57 06 Jan 06

<<< should I disable the onboard LAN on the motherboard as I suspect there might be a conflict between this and the wifi card. >>>

That shouldn't be necessary and there shouldn't be a conflict. There are situations where it is necessary to have two network adapters in use simultaneously..

I can actually have a "wired" and a "wireless" connection at the same time between my router and PC without it causing a problem.

<<< I am unable to get an internet connection on the new one with the BT card. >>>

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its correct IP address by DHCP from the router.

kelal 14:25 06 Jan 06

Yes I am connected ok, with the little halo over the icon. The problem appears to be that it is not getting the correct IP address by DHCP from the router. DHCP is enabled and I am not sure what to do next! I am running Windows 2000 by the way.
Thanks for your response.

mgmcc 16:30 06 Jan 06

Presumably the wireless adapter is set to get its IP address automatically; what address does it actually get?

If you run IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window, and that shows it has a "169.254" address, try running:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE

which should set its address to 0.0.0.0 and then:

IPCONFIG /RENEW

which should force it to renew its address when, if it can access the router's DHCP server, it should get the correct address.

kelal 18:34 06 Jan 06

typing ipconfig/all produces:

node type: broadcast
IP routing enabled : no
WINS proxy enabled: no

The wireless adapter is set to get its IP automatically, but doesn't seem to be doing so.

Seems like I am missing something here!

mgmcc 19:39 06 Jan 06

"ipconfig /all" should produce details of the network adapter's settings similar to this one of mine (although I was using a "wired" ethernet connection at the time) - click here

Is this detail all missing in ipconfig?

kelal 23:45 06 Jan 06

Yes, all this detail is missing.

mgmcc 10:09 07 Jan 06

There is something very odd because you indicated that you also had an on board LAN adapter - there should be entries in IPCONFIG with details of both the "wired" and the "wireless" adapters. If you go into Network Properties (right click "My Network Places" or "Network Neighborhood" and select Properties), do you actually have TCP/IP protocol installed and enabled?

kelal 12:34 07 Jan 06

Very odd, I agree. TCP/IP is definately installed and enabled but there is no detail reported when typing ipconfig/all. I am thinking that I should re-install Windows 2000 and start again from scratch

kelal 14:34 07 Jan 06

Hi
I have re-loaded Windows 2000 and now everything is working as it should. Seems like it was an OS problem.
Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…