No Internet Connection

Nancy166 22:40 19 Jan 09

I wonder if someone can help.

A friend of mine has a Toshiba laptop and the plan was to access the Internet via Broadband through Toucan, except she can't.

She has a Toucan disc and a modem. Both appear to be functioning correctly, green lights etc. She has new filters, plugs straight into the wall, no extension cable but still nothing happens. She can't even access through Dialup.

She tried talking to Tech in India but gave up as she couldn't understand him.

Any ideas? I suggested a router but can't see the point of spending the money if it doesn't help.

I tried everything but couldn't get it to work and it's doubly embarrassing as I sold her the laptop!

I used it to connect to the Internet via wireless....and AOL. Is there a clue there?

Flummoxed.

Moll

birdface 23:09 19 Jan 09

If connected by an Ethernet cable.Switch the modem off for 20 seconds and then back on and leave for 2 minutes before trying to use it.Or maybe right click local area connection and press repair.Maybe switch the wireless connection off on the laptop.

Switcher 23:16 19 Jan 09

She would be better off with a modem/router but the modem should work OK. I take it that it is a broadband modem and her line is enabled for Broadband.

Nancy166 00:36 20 Jan 09

Hi

Thanks for your replies. The modem is connected by USB. It's a broadband modem sent (I think) by Toucan and she has their phone so I'm assuming it's enabled.

The modem seems very basic, just a plain black box with two green lights but maybe that's enough, I don't know. I think I've already tried the right click local connection.

Moll

birdface 00:41 20 Jan 09

Is there a switch on the laptop that will switch the Wireless connection off.

MAJ 00:50 20 Jan 09

This might help. click here

MAJ 00:52 20 Jan 09

As you have the disk, here's the instructions for installing using that. click here You'll likely have to uninstall the modem before trying to reinstall the software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac