No internet connection

dogbreath1 17:46 30 Mar 05

A friend is having trouble connecting to the internet. Win 98/Virgin ISP/dialup/IE default. I've checked Internet Connections in Control Panel and the settings are as they always have been. Launching results in a hang. Launching virgin.mail results in a freeze. Launching Internet Explorer and Outlook Express directly gives similar results. I.e. no dialup dialogue box and a hang or freeze. Could it be due to a corrupted IE or OE? Is it possible to repair these using the Windows CD? Incidentally, Firefox won't fire up either. Any ideas on troubleshooting the problem would be very welcome.

VoG II 17:56 30 Mar 05

Repair IE click here

But try click here first.

dogbreath1 18:08 30 Mar 05

Thank you VoG™. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

dogbreath1 14:39 31 Mar 05

WinsockFix helped in so much as the internet is now accessible through Outlook Express.... by exing out and then clicking on, IE will fire up. But when clicking on from scratch, without launching OE first, IE just hangs. Any further help would be much appreciated. I did try a IE repair, but a missing file, setupwbv.dll, prevented success. I searched for this file and a copy was 'traced' to the Windows/System folder although even with hidden files and folders revealed, I couldn't actually find it there. I downloaded the dll file and when attempting to place it in the Windows/System folder got the message 'File Already exists...'. I chose the option to replace the original in case it was corrupted and reattempted an IE repair but got the same message regarding the missing .dll file. Any more ideas would be very welcome.

Yoda Knight 14:50 31 Mar 05

this is a good time to try Firefox instead ! :)

dogbreath1 14:57 31 Mar 05

Originally posted by dogbreath1 "Incidentally, Firefox won't fire up either."

However, now that an internet connection can be established at least through OE, I'll suggest that FF be set as the default browser and see if Virgin.Net will fire up then. I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks for that Yoda Knight.

dogbreath1 14:59 01 Apr 05

My mate has adopted Firefox. P.c. now working fine. Thanks to all who helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…