no internet

Nos Bigkin 08:26 28 May 08

Just received new wireless router from Sky and proceeded to connect it up to the bedroom phone socket as per my old router. Once all connected found that the internet didnt work and i had no internet light on the router. I tested the phone socket the only way i know how and that was just to check if the line had a dialling signal which it has.
I then took the router down to the first phone socket in my house and plugged it up and i get the internet light on the router.
Anyone know of what the problem could be?

Regards
Nos

ICF 09:18 28 May 08

Is the extension plugged into a filter ?

ICF 09:20 28 May 08

Have you set up the new router as per the old router ie password and username info?

Nos Bigkin 10:09 28 May 08

Thanks for replying ICF.
Yes the extension is plugged into a filter.
The username and password haven't changed as the new router is a replacement for the old faulty one, but never the less i still dont understand why i dont get the internet light 'light up' on the router when it is plugged in.

ICF 11:33 28 May 08

Yes but you still need to input the username and password into the new router don't you or does it come pre installed?

ICF 11:37 28 May 08

All I can suggest is if the router works without the extension then the extension is faulty.
Have you tried the filter at the other end of the extension next to the computer?

ICF 11:38 28 May 08

Have you tried the old router on the extension?

Nos Bigkin 12:09 28 May 08

Your right ICF, i think that it must be the extension cable which is at fault. What i'll do is buy a new cable tomorrow and then take it from there.

Thanks for your help
Nos

Taff™ 12:10 28 May 08

This is fairly common. If the extension wiring is not of the best quality (DIY install?) or the cable run is 10 metres or more, the chances are it isn`t suitable. If this is the case the best option is to leave the wireless Sky router downstairs and buy a USB adapter for the computer upstairs. (Assuming the computer is upstairs of course!)

Taff™ 13:29 28 May 08

Try to make sure the cable is no more than 10 metres and check that it is suitable for a broadband extension cable. For example, B&Q sell a telephone extension cable pre-packed that actually says it is unsuitable for ADSL in the small print.

Nos Bigkin 14:09 28 May 08

Taff, many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple