No images appearing in email body

mags100 18:32 26 Feb 03

When I am sent emails by some commercial companies with images as part of the body text I do not recieve these images eg. Amazon promotional material. There is just a blank square with a small image icon in top left corner. (If i look at the message properties/details some writing is in there.)
I am using Win98se, mostly on default settings, with Outlook Express v5 with plain text selected. This is annoying as I cannot view products where this happens - any ideas

beeuuem 18:38 26 Feb 03

View mailin html. Plain text displays just what it says on the tin, ie no pictures.

mags100 17:40 27 Feb 03

brilliant, thanks it worked.
But the only place that I can see to change to HTML setting is in 'new mail', which defaults back to plain text ?
Of course plain text I believe is better for not receiving viruses and also to allow other computers to read mail.

beeuuem 18:02 27 Feb 03

For o/g mail

To format all outgoing messages using HTML

In the main window, on the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Send tab.
In the Mail Sending Format or News Sending Format sections, click HTML.

For incoming mail:

In Outlook Express go to 'Tools' > 'Options' >click on the 'Read' tab and uncheck the option 'read all mail in plain text'.

Use a A/V programme that checks your incoming and outgoing mail, don't open unknown attachments and you should be safe from virii.

mags100 17:45 28 Feb 03

thanks for info, but don´t seem to have that option for reading mail. Did change the send option to HTML, and I think that I am receiving OK now.

mags100 16:09 03 Mar 03

false alarm, this is weird, although on Friday I could view images sent as email messages, (apparently in HTML format) which I was unable to view before in Outlook Express, I then found earlier today that I just had empty boxes again with an image icon in top corner. So I rechecked all setting in Outlook Express options, nothing to change, and went on line to see if that was necessary to view images on emails that were OK on Friday. No, nothing. Then this afternonn I tried again, same procedure, and there they are!!!

mags100 11:59 18 Aug 03

found the solution (as mentioned in PC Advisor) a couple of months back
just have to stay on-line when reading mail (rather negates the cost saving aspects of OE)

mags100 11:59 18 Aug 03

found the solution (as mentioned in PC Advisor) a couple of months back
just have to stay on-line when reading mail (rather negates the cost saving aspects of OE)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…