No idea about home networking. Please help!

Plastic Dracula 10:09 10 Jan 09

Morning all,

I have absolutely no idea what Im doing so Im relying on you good people once again!

At the moment I have a desktop PC, Windows XP, connected to a speedtouch modem on Plusnet thru a BT phone line.

My wife is looking at getting a Samsung NC10 netbook and needs an internet connection.
What is the best way of achieving this?
Wireless connection would be better for the netbook but not essential for the desktop PC.

Do I just need a wireless router with USB adaptor is or there much more to it than that?

Thanks in advance!

Technotiger 10:11 10 Jan 09
  Technotiger 10:13 10 Jan 09
  woodchip 10:16 10 Jan 09

You need a Wireless Router/Modem. Then follow the Network wizard in Control Panel to set up a Network. You need all Computers and Printers Turned on While running the Wizard. Also Make sure to setup the PC with Router first so they both can connect

Plastic Dracula 16:59 10 Jan 09

Thanks for the help earlier!

Got everything set up with a Belkin modem router and all is connecting ok.
Netbook shows wireless connection with speed of 54Mbps but the webpages are loading soooooooo slowly.
Is there anything I can do to improve this. Its a bit frustrating waiting a minute for Google to load!

Ta again

Pineman100 17:05 10 Jan 09

What's the signal strength?

Plastic Dracula 17:12 10 Jan 09

Sometimes good, sometimes poor.
Doesnt seem to affect the speed at which the webpages load

Plastic Dracula 18:18 10 Jan 09

Ok, latest update.

By moving it around the room so I get an excellent signal Google now loads up straight away, however, I cant get any other website to load up. Every time I go to Google it loads up straight away

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

woodchip 14:54 11 Jan 09

Is this with Wireless Laptop or Wired Desktop?????

Plastic Dracula 16:21 11 Jan 09

Wireless laptop.
With the laptop wired it all works ok

woodchip 19:14 11 Jan 09

Download TCPOptimizer.exe then double click on the file you download, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…