no IDE space for DVD upgrade

wato 21:33 05 Feb 04

I had to rebuild my computer due to a Mobo hardware fault.
Old configuration was:
Windows ME
IDE primary 1 Hard disk master
IDE primary 1 hard disk slave
Flopy drive one 1.44m 3.5"
IDE secondary 2 ZIP disk master
IDE secondary 2 CD writer slave
DVD Drive read only on a SCSI card (PCI slot)

Now running Windows XP Pro with the same configuration but having some problems with the SCSI card software.
I now want to upgrade to a DVD writer (removing DVD read only) and still keep all the other equipment as is.

How should I install and configure all the above?

I figure that I should use IDE primary for one hard disk and the CD writer and IDE secondary for the other hard disc and DVD but that leaves the ZIP with nowhere to go!

My gigabyte board supports A or B drives but does that include a ZIP drive?

DieSse 21:47 05 Feb 04

You need a PCI card with one or two IDE ports on, in order to support 5 IDE devices.

The conventional way to connect IDE devices is to put your two Hard Drives on the Primary IDE, and your other drives on the secondary or plug-in card.

If you get a card with two more IDE channels, though, I would suggest the following

IDE Primary - Hard Drive (System drive)

IDE Secondary - CD-RW as master - ZiP drive as Slave

PCI IDE1 Master - Second hard drive

PCI IDE2 master - New DVD-RW Drive

"My gigabyte board supports A or B drives but does that include a ZIP drive?" .... I don't understand. A and B drives are a floppy interface - A ZiP drive is IDE, different altogether.

woodchip 21:56 05 Feb 04
  woodchip 21:59 05 Feb 04
  Eric10 22:07 05 Feb 04

Your new DVD writer will also write CDR/RWs so you could dispense with your seperate CD writer thereby freeing up one IDE channel and allowing everything to fit.

wato 18:54 06 Feb 04

DieSse,
Thanks for your input.
Just shows wot a prat I can be! I never thought to look at the original connections. Of course you are right ZIP is a IDE drive.
A PCI card with one or two IDE ports seems a good way to go. However, I'm not sure that I agree that the second Hard drive should be on that. I want to use the hard drives to store video compulations for writing to the DVD/RW. Wouldn't there be a slow down on the bus connections and make things take a lot longer to read and write to each other?

DieSse 21:27 06 Feb 04

"Wouldn't there be a slow down on the bus connections and make things take a lot longer to read and write to each other?"

No slowdowns because of this. Keeping all the main drives on separate IDE channels will make sure that copies run at the fastest speed - all other things considered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…