No icons or taskbar showing on desktop.

robit 20:16 10 Sep 05

Hi, I hope someone out there can help. I am using xp with sp2. My pc seems to take ages starting up, from the splash screen until the welcome screen can take up to 4 minutes and during that time there is no harddrive activity at all, sometimes when it eventually gets to the desktop there are no icons or taskbar. I then have to ctrl, alt, del, it to get it to restart that way and everything seems to be fine on starting for the second time. I,ve ran Spybot, Adaware, and done a deep virus scan and found nothing at all. It seems Explorer.exe seems to be the cause of the problem not loading properly on startup. Has anyone got any ideas whats causing this.

driving man 20:22 10 Sep 05

have you considered the problems may be unrelated
check out task bar options and hide taskbar also position your mouse at the bottom of the screen untill it becomes a double headed arrow and try to drag task bar back in view
westfield driver

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:23 10 Sep 05

Taskbar missing
click here

Taskbar repair tool
click here

Where did my icons go?
If all of your desktop icons are missing, right click on the Desktop, select Arrange Icons By, then select Show Desktop Icons
click here

Stuartli 22:59 10 Sep 05

Seems to be catching:

click here

robit 19:30 11 Sep 05

Thanks everyone for your suggestions I will try your remedies the next time it happens but there is one slight problem and that is I cannot right click on the desktop to arrange icons because although I can move the cursor around the mouse button functions don't work. All i've got on the screen is the 'bliss' background and the moveable cursor. I think I will try a system restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…