no icons no taskbar

alan2k1 15:43 08 Aug 07

winxp home sp2

i log on as normal to the point where it says loading personal settings but no matter how long i leave it all i get is a complete screen of the desktop background ie there are no icons and no task bar so its impossible to do anything

this is the same in safemode, safemode as administrator and also if i try and use "last known configeration that worked"

any thoughts ??

thanks

alan

mfletch 15:49 08 Aug 07

Hi, Try Right click on your Desktop then go to Arrange icons then click/ Show Desktop icons.

mfletch

alan2k1 16:03 08 Aug 07

thanks mfletch but no keyboard strokes or mouse funtions work
i did notice the screen saver comes on and is cancelled by either mouse movement or keyboard

thanks again

alan

VoG II 16:05 08 Aug 07

Try Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

If that works, at the prompt type

c:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe

and press Enter. That should bring up System Restore.

beeuuem 16:08 08 Aug 07

that sounds bad.
From click here
You could try System Restore. Sometimes you may need to run it when your computer won't boot to Windows normally or in Safe Mode. You can still run System Restore in this case by doing the following:

1) Start your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt logging on as an account with administrator rights.

2) Type %systemroot%system32 estore strui.exe and Enter at the command prompt to start the System Restore feature.

Technotiger 16:33 08 Aug 07

Courtesy of Google - does not look good though ...

click here

alan2k1 16:51 08 Aug 07

i have found that the task manager will work however explorer is not running when i try to start it manually i get the error ...the program encounted an error and needs to close bla bla

birdface 17:00 08 Aug 07

I had the same problem this morning,I had just up-dated Incredimail when it happened ,Eventually got into Task Manager to see what the problem was,It was Task Manager itself that was causing my problem,There was about 20 items of Task Manager running at the same time,And I had a hard job trying to close it again,Once closed some of my icons reappeared and I managed to get computer to shut down,Restarted it and went straight into Safe mode and ran last good configuration and by a bit of luck it worked.This from Microsoft. I dont know if it will help you any, click here

ambra4 05:58 09 Aug 07

Download and try

click here

Terry Brown 06:57 09 Aug 07

To make sure you have no other hiden programs running, download STARTER.EXE from Codestuff. when you run it ,it will tell you every program that runs on your system at startup, with the option to stop them starting.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…