no icons on booting up

bigballoo 12:24 29 Aug 05

When I boot up my system, the start bar and icons do not boot up. I can only gain access to anything via the Windows Task Manager. The last thing I did was update AVG free. I have removed this but still the problem persists.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:29 29 Aug 05

Where did my icons go?
If all of your desktop icons are missing, right click on the Desktop, select Arrange Icons By, then select Show Desktop Icons
click here

Taskbar missing
click here

Taskbar repair tool
click here

bigballoo 10:21 30 Aug 05

When I right-click on the desktop the menu that should appear does not.

Funkey 10:50 30 Aug 05

hmmm i've heard of these symptoms 3 times in the last 24 hours. However, I'm reluctant to go down the same route of attempting a fix until I know more about YOUR particular circumstances.....however it sounds like a Trojan or virus.

Am I correct in thinking you are running WinXP?
What else did you do before updating AVG? Where you browsing the net? Had you installed any software at all recently if so which?

Are you getting any error message windows when you try to log into your user account?

Also try the following:

Log into another user account (if you have another setup) to see if the same problem occurs.

Try rebooting into Safe mode and logging into the Administrator account (to boot into safe mode: reboot pc and as soon as you see any writing onscreen start tapping F8 key until the "Advanced Windows Startup" menu appears, then select the top most option for "Safe Mode").

You might also want to consider using System Restore which can be invoked using Task Manager: 1) Open Task Manager (Ctrl, Alt + Delete)
2) click on the first tab on the top of the window, click on the "New Task" button.
3) Type the following into the dialogue box:
c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4) The System Restore feature should now start where you can select a previous date to restore your system to. Your personal shouldn't be touched, only programs you have installed after the date you select will be missing from the start menu etc.

Funkey 10:51 30 Aug 05

hmmm i've heard of these symptoms 3 times in the last 24 hours. However, I'm reluctant to go down the same route of attempting a fix until I know more about YOUR particular circumstances.....however it sounds like a Trojan or virus.

What else did you do before updating AVG? Where you browsing the net? Had you installed any software at all recently if so which?

Are you getting any error message windows when you try to log into your user account?

Also try the following:

Log into another user account (if you have another setup) to see if the same problem occurs.

Try rebooting into Safe mode and logging into the Administrator account (to boot into safe mode: reboot pc and as soon as you see any writing onscreen start tapping F8 key until the "Advanced Windows Startup" menu appears, then select the top most option for "Safe Mode").

You might also want to consider using System Restore which can be invoked using Task Manager: 1) Open Task Manager (Ctrl, Alt + Delete)
2) click on the first tab on the top of the window, click on the "New Task" button.
4) The System Restore feature should now start where you can select a previous date to restore your system to. Your personal shouldn't be touched, only programs you have installed after the date you select will be missing from the start menu etc.

Funkey 10:53 30 Aug 05

Also try the following:

Funkey 10:53 30 Aug 05

sorry about the multiple posting....website acting slow and giving me errors lol

griffo 13:53 29 Oct 05

sorry to hijack this thread but I've got the same problem on a friends laptop. Tried to do the system restore but it says "system restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart and then run system restore again".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…