no icon for slave drive

s99Raj 17:02 17 Jul 05

I've just connected a 160 GB Hard Drive as a slave to my 40 GB (Master) Hard Drive. The BIOS sees the new drive correctly as a slave and the size is listed correctly too in the BIOS, but when Windows (XP) starts, there's no icon for this new slave drive in "My Computer". How can I get it to appear?

mattyc_92 17:05 17 Jul 05

Go to "Start->Control Pannel->Performance and Maintanence->Administrative Tools->Computer Management" and click onto the "Disk Management" option from the left...

Now locate your slave drive, right-click it and select format

s99Raj 17:19 17 Jul 05

I tried that and "allocated" it but then after righ-clicking I see no option for format, only one for New Partition.

s99Raj 17:21 17 Jul 05

Actually it still comes out as being "unallocated". So how can I allocate and format it?

powerless 17:35 17 Jul 05

You need to create a partition before you can format.

s99Raj 17:38 17 Jul 05

How do I create a partition? Do I need to Fdisk it, or shall I just right click and go to New Partition.... ?

powerless 17:47 17 Jul 05

just right click and go to New Partition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 17 Jul 05

right click and go to New Partition.... ? yes better to make two new partions (solves the 137G problem)

Make new partion 80G and format, then make second partion and format it as well. Your new drive is now divided into two. You can back up the old drive onto the new one.

Partioning Guide
click here

s99Raj 18:59 17 Jul 05

Thanks - done !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…