No help and support option in start menu(Windows XP)

hiwatt 17:30 PM 07 Nov 12

Hi folks I did a scan with malwarebytes and it "found" one "item" PUP.hijack.no mshelp which is a policy that's been set so that there is no help and support option showing in the start menu?I didn't set this policy myself and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to restore it?I've tried going to task bar/properties/start menu/customize but there isn't even an option there to enable the help and support in start/menu?Any help is much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 PM 07 Nov 12
  woodchip 18:19 PM 07 Nov 12

In Programs or whatever try pressing F1

a help dialogue may pop up

hiwatt 19:03 PM 07 Nov 12

Fruitbat I haven't got a disc for my XP machine.It came pre installed years ago!I had a look in the registry and there's a policy set "do not show help and support" and it's value is set to 1.If I change it to 0 will that re enable it?Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 PM 07 Nov 12

should do

hiwatt 13:40 PM 10 Nov 12

Just to update.Changing the value in the registry manually from 1 to 0 did in fact fix it and the help and support option is now showing in the start menu!Thanks folks.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…