No hard drive at windows installation

deeporter 13:25 29 Aug 06

I have windows xp pro installed on my hard but as the system is getting slow i wanted to make a clean install on the hard drive, so i popped the xp disk in the drive and get as far as the blue screen that asks you where you want to put your new copy of xp, or which parition do you want to delete, below those options where the partitions on the hard drive are usually listed it says no hard drive recognised and if you click to delete a partition or to install the os i just get a blue failure screen, anyone got any ideas on what might be going wrong?

ade.h 14:22 29 Aug 06

SATA or IDE?

deeporter 14:43 29 Aug 06

its sata

ade.h 14:45 29 Aug 06

Right, so did you install the SATA driver from a floppy? Press F6 when prompted early on, then be patient.

deeporter 15:03 29 Aug 06

no i never had a driver for the hard drive when i first installed xp

ade.h 15:05 29 Aug 06

Well, you need a driver for SATA controllers....

deeporter 15:23 29 Aug 06

do you know where i could download that from, ive had a look at the website and cant find anything, the hard drive is a maxtor 6L200M0

ade.h 15:28 29 Aug 06

As I said, it's a driver for the SATA controller. Not the hard-disk. Your motheboard's download page is where you need to go. If you still have the motherboard accessories, there should be a floppy in there. I'd be amazed if it had not been provided given how essential it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017