No game port in new computer???

ray-s 18:56 10 Dec 06

New computer does not have a game port and I am told all modern motherboards are like this as newer jotsticks plug into the usb port. I do not want the expense of buying a new joystick as my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback has hardly been used and is in perfect condition. I did a Google and found a usb gameport adapter but discovered in the FAQ's that I would lose feedback with this item which I do not want to do.
Any ideas please?

mattyc_92 21:32 10 Dec 06

You MAY be able to get a adapter for Game Port->Serial
Provided you have a serial port

Sorry I can't be of much help, as I never really use controllers on PC games (although I own a USB one) as most of the games I play are too annoying to change the control settings

Totally-braindead 21:38 10 Dec 06

Its not uncommon for PCs not to have game ports now. If you really don't want to buy a new controller then get a sound card. Your PC will probably have onboard sound and a seperate sound card will probably give you better sound and of course will give you a game port as well.
Something like this perhaps click here or try your local computer shop. Watch what you buy though as some of the newer sound cards don't have a game port either.

Kate B 23:25 10 Dec 06

Mind you, what will cost more - a sound card or a USB joystick? Basically, the old game port is obsolete.

kevinjuan 02:18 11 Dec 06

I had the same trouble, MS Force Feedback didn't work with a usb adaptor. My motherboard also could not address the gameport on the soundcard.

Ended up selling the Joystick and buying a flight yoke & peddals. Never looked back. Not Force feedback but far more accurate for flight sim.

The only other choice is to buy a USB Force Feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…