No fixed disk present at A promt

Ex plorer 16:03 04 Nov 05

Hi I want to format the hard drive on an old Dell 266MHz the problem is that it can’t find the CD player.

I have replaced cables and set the jumpers to master, in fact I have tried them all ways round. I have even swapped the CD round for a good one of same size.

I have now disconnected it completely and now it comes up with (No fixed disk present) after typing fdisk at the A prompt.

I have a 6.4 Gig hard drive but I am not sure wether or not I should fit it, can I do any harm its off an old dell just two Gigs bigger. The old back plate will fit.

The old HD drive is a Seagate and the replacement would be Quantum it shows the jumpers set at Cable Select on the Quantum.
There are no markings on the original HD to show what they are set at.

Ex

recap 17:20 04 Nov 05

Check the BIOS setting to make sure the CD drive is set correctly.

Ex plorer 18:25 04 Nov 05

In Bios the choice is A drive / CD ROM / Hard Drive Only. No other choices, I have tried all.
With or with out CD ROM conected if you type fdisk it sayes No Fixed Disk Presant.

Ex plorer 18:31 04 Nov 05

Found this click here and many more so I will try and see what i can do.

DieSse 19:45 04 Nov 05

"Hi I want to format the hard drive on an old Dell 266MHz the problem is that it can’t find the CD player."

Whether you an find the CD drive has, in itself, no bearing on formatting the hard drive - you can do this from a floppy disk.

"I have now disconnected it completely and now it comes up with (No fixed disk present)"

Disconnected what from where?

"I have a 6.4 Gig hard drive but I am not sure wether or not I should fit it, can I do any harm its off an old dell just two Gigs bigger."

You can't do any harm to anything if you fit it.

"The old back plate will fit."

There's no *back plate* on a hard drive - what are you referring to?

"...the replacement would be Quantum it shows the jumpers set at Cable Select on the Quantum."

This isn't correct for a old system - you ned to change the jumper to the *master* position.

DieSse 19:47 04 Nov 05

Check the IDE (ribbon cable) where it fits onto the motherboard - try taking it off and refittin it - sometimes a poor connection will cause problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…