no fixed disk present

jimbiggut 17:15 13 Jan 05

rebuilding an older system as a spare on my network. when trying to format a couple of hdd's i had. I had already fdisk'd & formatted Maxtor drive on this machine, however on bootup recieve the error No fixed disk present, and i now cannot fdisk or fdisk /mbr either drive( drives are a maxtor diamond plus 8 40gb hdd and western digital WD200 20gb hdd). When system boots it now does not detect drive in Bios ( although it did originally-see above). I have checked connections, i have used maxblast(it doesn't detect drive either. any help/advice would be very grateful.
system info mx64 mobo (v1.0), pentium II 733 mhz cpu, 128meg ram,hp cdrw,dvd rom, 32mb agp graphics card.

capella 17:21 13 Jan 05

You can try the following

Go into your setup/bios and check the following

- Ensure your hard drive is set to auto detect

- You may also want to make your hard drive the the first bootable device in the boot sequence

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 13 Jan 05

If worked ok before and no drives now detected in BIOS this points to a loose or faulty IDE cable

Check connection on motherboard and at HDDs.

jimbiggut 17:37 13 Jan 05

thanks for the quick response. i have checked cables, all seem to be fine.
when pc starts ide primary master not detected. have changed bios to boot from c only - still not detected.
auto detecting hhd in bios does not show drive (i.e. type size cyls head) all blank. in fact system is hanging at this point.

jimbiggut 18:53 13 Jan 05

have just tried another hdd i had (13gb seagate). this has been detected by the bios. this drive i am currently fdisk/formatting, so it must be the other two drives that are at fault. I can return under warranty the Maxtor but if anyone can suggest what i can do to resurect the other i would be grateful.

slimbo51 19:51 13 Jan 05

Are you sure the IDE cable in H/Drive is right way round.

No fixed disk present will often refer to cable being wrong.

The red tracer wire on the ribbon should face towards the outside of the case.

If checked and ok already, forget this bit of info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…