No firewall in XP

Madrat 12 May 11

Hi,

Mums laptop running XP pro has started saying NO FIREWALL IS TURNED ON even though it is, It is using AVG free and the windows fire wall. This is causing the laptop to hang for about 60seconds before the wifi symbol comes up so getting onto the internet now takes longer. I have scanned for viruses etc but no joy, any idea's????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12 May 11

Windows XP firewall is worst than useless as it only blocks incomings, if you have let something though disguised in a download or a file then it will be able to send out your details without you knowing.

I suggest you ditch the windows firewall and install something like ZoneAlarm or Comodo see here

Best free protection for XP is:

Firewall

ZoneAlarm / Comomdo

Anti virus

Avast ( uses much less resources than AVG )

Antispyware

1. Windows defender as a real time scanner
  2. SpywareBlaster as a blocker
  3. Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware as a back up scanner (use weekly)to check the others are doing the job

All are free, all work well together and do not slow up the system, I not had a virus or spyware with this combination for the last approx 10 years

spuds 12 May 11
  Madrat 12 May 11

Avast will not work with sky email for some reason.

Never had a problem before with the windows fire wall.

Madrat 14 May 11

Found the problem. Microsoft Net framework 4.0

Removed this and everything is now fine.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message