No file/print share but internet connection OK.

djsew 22:19 04 Mar 05

Simple setup; Laptop on XPHome,Desktop on XPpro, both sp2. Connected with crossover cable to ethernet cards. Followed Win insstructions for network setup. Desktop has USB connection to BB modem.
Can connect to 'net from either station but file and printer sharing refuse to cooperate!
On the Laptop, in Win Help for networks, 'Scan your system' produces a 'fail' against the network adaptor 'IPAddress' (no data was transferred).

Is this a hardware fault? Or configuration?
If the latter, where do I go?

FelixTCat 22:55 04 Mar 05

There are a number of possible problems.

First, make sure that your firewall is not preventing network connections. The best advice is to disable the firewall until you have a network set up, then enable it. Disconnect from the internet whilst doing this.

Secondly, to see other computers in My Network Places, you have to share a file, directory or drive.

Thirdly, make sure that both computers have the same workgroup name but different computer names.

On each computer, open a DOS window and type "ipconfig" [Enter]. The desktop will probably have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 on the ethernet connection and the laptop 192.168.0.2

djsew 23:24 04 Mar 05

Thanx for responding FelixTCat. Done all that but laptop gives me 'Windows IP config' when I do the ipconfig command.
also, when I previously did the Scan pc in Win Help on networks, I noticed that the laptop IP Addr was 192.168.0.245

FelixTCat 23:42 04 Mar 05

Provided that the desktop ethernet adapter has an ip address in the range 192.168.0.xxx that does not present a problem, provided that the firewall will not block those addresses.

When you do ipconfig on the laptop, you should get a response like:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

(Your numbers may be different)

The IP Address is the address of the pc. The Default Gateway is the address of your link to the internet (and therefore the IP address of the ethernet port of your desktop).

Remember that SP2 activates the firewall by default.

You also have to set file and printer sharing in your network connection settings.

djsew 23:16 07 Mar 05

Sorry to be so long responding, problem still not fixed but since doing a clean XP re-install on the host (for other reasons) and repeating the home network setup wizard, I now have satisfactory responses to the ipconfig interrogation(s).
Still no access between client and host. Client says that nothing is available. Host presents items in 'My Network places' but they ar not available because of 'no authority - refer to server administrator...'.
Printer has been set to 'Share', Shared Folders on both are set to'Share'.
Both users have Administrator status.
Where do I go from here?
Ultimately, we are going for a wireless system. I'm loathe to buy the kit if it should present similar probs!

FelixTCat 11:23 08 Mar 05

Have you checked the firewalls?

Set the XP Pro pc for simple file sharing (My Computer - Tools - View and scroll to the bottom).

djsew 17:14 08 Mar 05

Firewalls checked. Had them OFF and again On to do network set-ups.
Simple file sharing is enabled as you advise.

Have noticed that the Internet access from the laptop cannot be relied on. Sometimes it connects, sometimes no-availability comes up when login-on. (The main PC has established the connection first but is not actually being used.)

Looked a bit further into Win Help and 'ping' commands. Something amiss here. Can ping main PC from laptop, good result; PC to Laptop fails with timeouts, no data tx. Relevant IP addr's obtained with ipconfig command.

Have checked out the (crossover) cable - OK. Network cards are configured to auto-negotiate speed/duplex mode.

FelixTCat 17:31 08 Mar 05

If ping fails with IP address established it is often the sign of a firewall still in place. If you are using a third-party firewall, make sure that both this and the WinXP firewall are disabled. SP2 is designed so that its own firewall cuts in when the third-party one is not in place.

djsew 20:49 08 Mar 05

Success!!! Before just picking up your last message I re-read all your previous and noted that recurring theme - firewall. I thought it strange that I could ping one direction only yet the internet conn was on the laptop OK. A bit of delving into the laptop, Packard-Bell which she only bought last week, found that Norton Security was pre-installed, no sys-tray icon, no other evidence other than a sub-menu on the Applications menu. I thought that I was only dealing with Window FW.
Well done and thanks for 'staying on the case', much obliged to you Felix.

FelixTCat 22:47 08 Mar 05

You're welcome. Been there; done it; got the bruises.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…