No .exe Files Working On Windows XP

Rickyv 07:53 26 Nov 03

Hi,

For some reason i cannot open any .exe files on my computer (outlook express, word, control panel,excel etc) How can i fix this?

Thank you

Jester2K II 07:59 26 Nov 03

Bit more info. What does happen when you click on them? Messages? Have you rebooted? Have you tried in Safe Mode? Is your Anti Virus up to date?

Diodorus Siculus 07:59 26 Nov 03

What message do you get when you try to open them?

There was a virus doing the rounds a year ago which caused this to happen - have you done a virus scan?

Have you tried system restore / or the system file configuration utility - go to start, run and type in

sfc /scannow

which may help.

Rickyv 08:02 26 Nov 03

The message that it comes up with says windows cannot find file...make sure you typed it correctly...

System restore doesn't work because it is a .exe file and sfc /scannow won't work because i don't have a windows xp disk.

Jester2K II 08:03 26 Nov 03

The message that it comes up with says windows cannot find file...make sure you typed it correctly...

Diodorus Siculus 08:06 26 Nov 03
  Rickyv 08:08 26 Nov 03

for example when i try to go on outlook express it says:

windows cannot find c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.

Diodorus Siculus 08:08 26 Nov 03

http:// securityresponse. symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/ w32. yaha.f@ mm.html

Remove the spaces and you should have a link to symantec.

Over to Jester2K II now... sorry, time to go!

Jester2K II 08:10 26 Nov 03

Sorry to repeat this but can you check what you are typing before you do it?

You say you opened OE but the path you gave is for Internet Explorer!!

What happens when you try to open Notepad?

Is you Anti Virus up to date?

Rickyv 08:13 26 Nov 03

my virus scan is up to date. when i open notepad it says:

Windows cannot find c;\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Jester2K II 08:15 26 Nov 03

weird - never seen this before! Hang on...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…