no ethernet port

oldnovice 09:29 19 Aug 10

Hello i was given an advent tower 3308 running xp all working ok but no ethernet port only phone modem so i installed a wireless dongle which found wireless network connected to network with password excellent signal 54mbps but when try to connect to internet useing i/explorer or firefox it wont go online is there software i can download to enable browsers to see wireless connection or do i need to install something else.

Thankyou

Graphicool1 10:03 19 Aug 10

My tower PC hasn't got an ethernet port either. I use a 'Belkin G USB Wireless Adapter'. I don't have any problems either going on line or connecting via IE7 or Firefox.

Graphicool1 10:06 19 Aug 10

I also have a Belkin Wireless Router, which my wife's Vista laptop also uses. My set-up is WinXP SP3.

mgmcc 12:26 19 Aug 10

If the Wireless Network Adapter has connected properly to the Router then no additional software is necessary to go online.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Check what IP address the Wireless Network Adapter has. With a Belkin Router, it should have a 192.168.2.x address. If it has a 169.254.x.x address, then it hasn't connected properly to the Router to obtain its address by DHCP. Windows has defaulted to allocating a "169.254" APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing) which won't let you access either the router or the internet.

Wharker 12:30 19 Aug 10

Hi oldnovice,

If you're connected to the network then that is the hardest part out of the way!

It seems like the programs aren't trying to use the internet connection properly... What you could try is going into control panel, and selecting "Internet Properties". Then click on the "Connections" tab, make sure the "Never dial a connection" radio box is ticked, then click on the button which says "LAN settings". Then tick the box which says "Automatically detect settings". OK out of all of the windows and try again... it should work now in IE, and probably Firefox.

oldnovice 13:29 19 Aug 10

thanks for help i seem to be going round in circles going to do clean install of windows will mark as resolved

oldnovice 17:49 19 Aug 10

update after clean install all working now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now