no ethernet with BT voyager 205

sandinistini 14:25 18 Dec 05

Hi,
I can't set up an internet connection via ethernet cable, but only by USB. The installation CD from BT says installation completed and so on but I can't get connected somehow. Has anyone got an idea what I could do?

PaulB2005 14:31 18 Dec 05

Giving us a better idea of what is or isn't happening would be a start.

What are the lights on the modem doing?

What actually happens when you try to connect?

Error messages?

sandinistini 14:35 18 Dec 05

Well, all I can remember after a lot of weeks is that the installation went obviously fine but just could not connect to the internet. 3 lights were on... power, ethernet and dsl.

sandinistini 14:39 18 Dec 05

Another thing... in which folder are the "normal" drivers (not the usb ones)? I plan to uninstall BT browser, usb drivers etc. and try to set up ethernet connection and protocol what happens. But I don't want to install all the "bt sh**" with it :-)

PaulB2005 14:43 18 Dec 05

You'll need to explain better. This could mean lots of things.

Was the modem dialling and failing to connect?

Was the modem dialling, connecting but then you were getting "Page Cannot Be Displayed"?

Was the modem not even dialling at all?

Please remember we are not there so we don't know what does/ doesn't happen unless you tell us.

sandinistini 14:48 18 Dec 05

I know I should describe things better but I can't because it is too long ago. I want to retry a new installation and probably I can say more later. Therefor I have to know in which folder the non-USB driver of my voyager are because I don't want to install BT browser etc.
By the way according to "Was the modem dialling and failing to connect? I can confirm this with a full yes.

PaulB2005 14:53 18 Dec 05

"-USB driver of my voyager are because I don't want to install BT browser"

The USB driver and the BT Browser are in no way connected so this request doesn't really make sense. Bit like saying "where's the Hoover because my car won't start?"

"Was the modem dialling and failing to connect? I can confirm this with a full yes."

Well we'll need the error then.

I suggest you try again and as soon as you get stuck come back here straight away and tell us whats going on. We'll sort you out.

PaulB2005 14:54 18 Dec 05

By the way if you do need to connect the modem via Ethernet then you don't need a driver as long as the Ethernet Driver for the port on the PC is installed.

sandinistini 15:24 18 Dec 05

Hi,
have deinstalled every BT software component, USB modem drivers, removed cookies etc., have deactivated antivirus program and anti-spyware and have installed the "rasppoe" protocol from Robert Schlundt and connected it with my built-in ethernet adaptor. Then I connected the ethernet cable and very soon a new network component was detected. Now I can connect to te internet via ethernet cable... I don't know what was wrong before, I just used the BT CD and di what I was told... how funny...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…