no ethernet

baldi 12:19 24 Nov 05

I have just had my wireless router delivered and intended to connect it to my pc via ethernet cable. However, my computer is now 5 yrs old and does not seem to have an ethernet socket. it has a modem socket and usb sockets only. Will I have to send the router back or is there another way to connect the unit ?

recap 12:30 24 Nov 05

You could purchase an ethernet card and install it, you can get one for less than £10, click here for examples.

baldi 12:34 24 Nov 05

thankyou very much for the advice. Can you tell me where this card connect to ?

PaulB2005 12:39 24 Nov 05

You'll have to open the PC and put it in a PCI slot.

click here

baldi 12:48 24 Nov 05

Thankyou, Can you tell me how do i find out which ethernet card to purchase for my computer ??

DieSse 14:16 24 Nov 05

click here

All ethernet cards are basically the same. You can go into a local shop or superstore and they should have loads. Expect to pay £4 up to £10.

keef66 15:02 24 Nov 05

I just did it so it must be easy. Got 2 Netgear cards from e-buyer for £16 and now have 2 pc's on a little network and sharing a broadband connection.
Unplug the pc's power cord, take off the left hand side panel (left when viewed from front)
Find an empty PCI slot and remove the corresponding blanking plate from the back of the pc. Touch the metal pc case to ground yourself, then push the card fully into the slot (It makes a kind of crunching noise as it goes in) and make sure it's rear plate lines up with the hole in the back of the pc so you can see / access the network port from the outside. Secure it with a screw, replace the side panel, plug the power back in and off you go. Windows XP will find the new card and load it's own drivers, win 98 will need the drivers off the cd which came with the card.

Robert's your relative!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…