No Email With Wireless Connection

busybaz 08:54 15 Feb 09

Cable modem connection to virginmedia.com, no problem retrieving email using Outlook Express or via Virgin Webmail with wired connection for years!.

Change to wireless connection using Tenda W302R Router, Internet access fine but cannot access email at all:
Webmail error "Failed to connect. The connection was refused when attemtiong to contact webmail.ntlworld.com. Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection"
Outlook express error "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: '*', Server: '*', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

Any ideas out there, please? [Google search indicates may be "way Virgin recognises your PC"?]

busybaz 11:47 09 Mar 09

Definitely the Tenda [was showing as Plexus on website when I purchased!!] router. Have piggy backed on to a neighbour's wi-fi connection and can access my email.

Are there no router gurus out there at all?

Taff™ 12:58 09 Mar 09

This could be a problem in your area. Have you checked with Virgins status pages? click here

You could also try resetting everything. Switch off your computer. Take out the power supply to the wireless router and the cable modem - leave for 5 minutes. Reconnect the cable modem and wait for several minutes until the lights settle down and stop flashing in sequence. Now power up the wireless router and then your computer.

busybaz 15:54 10 Mar 09

Mildly disappointed at lack of Helproom response, but solved anyway.
It was either upgrading to the latest firmware, or having to temporarily connect ethernet cable from PC to router to do the upgrade [wouldn't operate upgrade via wifi adaptor] that cured the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac