No email with Windows 7

hawthorn59 22:48 28 Nov 09

Hi

Just wondering if and when I buy a new laptop whats the best thing to do for email?

I dont really mind using whatever is recommended or even web mail, but I do have concerns about how to get my emails currently stored in Windows Mail (Vista) on to the new laptop.

Not actually intending to purchase in the near future but just wondering.

h

Technotiger 22:52 28 Nov 09

I believe Incredimail works fine with Win7.

Sea Urchin 22:54 28 Nov 09

Why not download Windows Live Mail - very similar to Windows Mail

click here

hawthorn59 23:27 28 Nov 09

Yes but is it possible to transfer or import my messages, folders or whatever, into it and is it difficult?

h

gazzaho 01:11 29 Nov 09

I transfered my mail over from Vista's Mail with no problem using the export and import functions. I had to export the folders to the C: drive and then move them to an external drive as it wouldn't allow me to save them directly to an external drive.

Once my folders and contacts were exported and saved I installed Windows 7 downloaded and installed Live Mail, imported them, copied all the relevant files to their respective folders and deleted the empty ones. It only took a few minutes. I never found it difficult or complicated at all.

mgmcc 15:50 29 Nov 09

If you have a PC running Vista, there are instructions for copying the "Windows Mail" program from Vista into Windows 7 at click here

highside 16:03 29 Nov 09

I installed Win 7 but firstly went for Live Mail, it all went well and everything transerred OK, as soon as 7 was working so was mail.
I may change to Thunderbird though on recomendation of almost the whole world. Live is similar to Win mail but for whatever reason slow, sometimes takes about 20 secs to present new mail where it was instantaneous with Win Mail.

hawthorn59 02:52 30 Nov 09

And is it possible to import from Windows Mail to thunderbird i wonder?

h

chub_tor 08:32 30 Nov 09

I use Live Mail, it was simple to transfer across all my old emails and now I have a central source for my POP3 accounts and my Hotmail accounts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017