No Drives!

tazzo85 19:53 28 Apr 04

Hiya guys, have just put in a Toshiba DVD-RW in my friends computer, there wasnt any cables or installation disc included as it said it didnt need any. Here lies the problem tho - When i started up the computer, no new hardware was found which was strange, so i looked under My computer, and there wasnt even a D or E drive! The only existing drives was C, A and then the other things such as network and stuff. Both drives on the computer open and close and the green light comes on! Even when i put a disc in it did not detect anything. Apparantly, there was a D drive there before. What have i done wrong? How do i fix this?

PSF 20:34 28 Apr 04

When you installed the new drive did you check the jumper settings. You will need to make one drive 'master' and the other 'slave'.

tazzo85 20:50 28 Apr 04

umm no, how do i do that? There was a drive in where i put the new 1, aswell as a standard DVD-ROM drive above that was with the computer i should have thought so.

PSF 20:57 28 Apr 04

If you look at the back of the drive there are two rows of pins. You will see a small link connecting the upper and lower ones together.
On the top of the drive there should be a table showing you where to put the jumper/link.

tazzo85 21:09 28 Apr 04

ok thanx, i will have a look at it when im there tomorrow. Thank you again!

PSF 21:18 28 Apr 04

click here**&p_li=

These are jumper settings for a hard drive. They are the same type as a dvd or cdr.
It is a good example. If you know the make of drive have a look on the manufactures web site for full details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…