No Drives!

Duncanf 23:30 22 Sep 03

Quite unexpectantly, both my cd and cdrw drives have become unrecognised by the computer. I've just noticed as the Computer starts up the words..."Detecting IDE drives" and beside it (although it flashes very quickly)
"no 80 connector cable installed"
I haven't touched anything inside the computer but could someone help me connect up again or at least get the computer to recognise the drives.
I am on Windows ME

Thanks in anticipation.

krypt1c 23:48 22 Sep 03

Could just be that the cable has become loose. Open up your case and check them.

Djohn 23:50 22 Sep 03

It just might be something as straightforward as a loose connection on the cable at the motherboard end.

If you feel capable to look inside your PC, then turn off your system and remove the side panel, you will see the wide cable that is connected to your CD drives. Give a gentle but firm push to each one and check where it connects to the board itself. again a gentle but firm press on the connector will probably cure the problem. j.

Duncanf 13:46 23 Sep 03

Thanks kryptic and Djohn.
Couldn't come back last night as modem was making too much noise and disturbing others!

Pushing the cables in has got rid ofthe 'no conductor cable installed' message but the two drives are still not recognised. When the computer boots up the message comes up:

Detecting IDE drives
Sec Master...undecipherable letters etc
Sec slave....None

Where can I go from here? Any more help available?

MAJ 13:54 23 Sep 03

It could be that the cable is faulty, Duncanf. Do you have a spare to try?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now