No Dor E drives showing in My Computer

dolphinaber 15:24 31 Jan 06

I have fould I have no D or E icons showing in My Computer and of course nothing happens when I try to use the drives. Can someone please get them back for me.

skidzy 15:30 31 Jan 06

If you are running xp windows..try system restore to an earlier date when the system was working ok.Maybe roll back the drivers.

pj123 15:36 31 Jan 06

Give us a run down of your computer? What are or were your D and E drives, ie. hard drives or optical drives?

dolphinaber 16:21 31 Jan 06

Thanks both Well I think the damage may have been done when I tried a restore for another reason.The resore was progressing nicely then it froze The only way I know of sorting this out is the `emergency button` Afterwards I tried restore again but at the end it said it could not do it.
I have looked in Disc management and it just shows 0 as C 1 as F 2 as G and so on.
Yes they are CD/DVD players. No other HD. Yes XP.
What is roll back the drivers!!!!!
Hope this helps.

Diemmess 17:01 31 Jan 06

Are D: and E: partitions of the same HD as C:?

If on a separate HD double check that the cables, power and Data are all sound and pushed home, and then check whether 2 HDs are visible in the BIOS.

If on the same HD or perhaps in any case, have you tried starting in Safe Mode?

Skills 17:05 31 Jan 06

Check the device manager and see if there are any exclemation marks showing.

dolphinaber 17:57 31 Jan 06

D and E same HD as C
How do you work Safe mode please?
Just tried System restore and it ended `Your PC cannot be restored to etc etc
`Unsigned Driver Install`

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 31 Jan 06

Yes they are CD/DVD players.

1st control panel devce manager - uninstall the IDE channel the drives are on (secondary) then action scan for new hardware and let XP reinstall the channels and hopefully the CD/DVd drives.
If no go then:-

click here

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error
Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software.
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

dolphinaber 12:20 01 Feb 06

Thanks Fruit Bat, As I am a mug with PCs think I will try your first suggestion to start with and hope I dont need the second !!
Ive been to Control panel Adminisrative tools then computer management then device manager. It shows dvd/cd rom drives then 2 drives under with yellow `stickers` Am I on the right track?
If so do you mind taking me through the next bit as if Im an idiot!
Uninstall the IDE channel etc
Thanks Bill

Gringo2005 13:07 01 Feb 06

Basically the drivers are missing for the drives
Had this problem on an older machine when I installed XP

Log onto windows update and it should provide hardware drivers for them

Hope that works

Skills 18:13 01 Feb 06

Ok from the device manager expand the IDE controllers one you probably see that the secondary IDE controller is also showing an exclemation mark right click the secondary IDE controller and choose uninstall. Then reboot the computer when XP starts up it should come up with found new hardware etc and this should fix the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…