No display at boot up

Gandy 13:45 04 Mar 05

I have an Acer LCD monitor, which cannot display boot messages as they are "out of range".

On inspection with a crt monitor, they (the boot messages) do appear to be 'squeezed'.

I don't get any display from the LCD monitor untill the ati drivers are loaded.

Any idea how to get my boot messages back? Bear in mind I can't see the screen to select safe mode, neither can I get a display when trying to enter the bios setup.....I have no display till Windows has loaded.

What has changed to alter the V/H frequencies and/or resolution during boot?

It has worked and failed previously, but have no idea what I did to correct it last time!!

Yoda Knight 13:49 04 Mar 05

Need more details here...

Try this: boot up using ur crt to get into the bios. check that u have onboard graphics card (if any) disabled and agp selected as video type (I'm guessing what ur setup is here...)

Yoda Knight 13:50 04 Mar 05

could also try the settings buttons on the screen itself (again, assuming you have any)

Gandy 14:19 04 Mar 05

agp selected in bios.....monitor buttons have no effect. The message "out of range" with values of V and H frequency and resolution is all I can see at boot up, so presumably, something is wrong with these. But controls display settings at boot up?

Gandy 14:21 04 Mar 05

sorry, missed the word 'what' in last sentance!

Yoda Knight 16:18 04 Mar 05

Ur bios controls ur display on boot up. U still havent said if u definately have an agp card.

But further than that I'm out of ideas now....

Gandy 16:41 04 Mar 05

Sorry, it's an ati radeon 9200 on a MSI KT6 Delta mobo. Do u think there could be a clash with the mobo vga drivers and the ati card?

TomJerry 16:47 04 Mar 05

proper cable (not very long) is two ways, so when PC start, it send request to monitor and the monitor answer back about the resolution and PC set it properly

if you have a dumb cable (only one way), PC cannot get any answer back from monitor so it just set the highest resloution of the graphics card, so you got out of range info (or "squeezed")

Gandy 16:55 04 Mar 05

It's a Dsub cable, that came with the monitor. Pc is supposed to auto detect monitor (plug n play)

TomJerry 17:01 04 Mar 05

suppose feedback line is damaged

only plug n play if cable is two ways

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…